Proctoring Online Exams
Logging into the Online Exam
Iowa State University uses a learning management system (LMS) to provide on-line courses and course content. After a student registers for one of these courses they receive a University ID number. Using this University ID number they will then establish a net-ID that allows them to enter the LMS to take their exams. To access the online exam, follow the steps below:
- Have the student log into their class and navigate to the exam they wish to take
- The proctor will enter the exam password while the student turns away from the terminal; all passwords are “case sensitive”
- After the password is entered a new browser window will open overlaid on the page where the proctor entered the password
- We recommend that you return to the screen behind the exam screen and close it. This will not log the student out of their exam but will help prevent them from going back into the course to look up answers in the course content.
Taking the Online Exam
Once the student has started the test we ask that you monitor to see that they adhere to the following guidelines:
- Unless otherwise indicated all exams are closed book, therefore students should not refer to any notes or their textbook.
- Only one browser window needs to be open, that being the exam. All other browser windows should be closed during the exam. The student should not open nor use any programs such as Instant Messaging, chat rooms, email, etc. nor should they be “Web Surfing” while they take the exam.
- The student should not use any electronic devices such as cell-phones, PDAs, iPods, iPads, MP3 players, etc.
- The student should not use any removable storage like CDs, DVDs, USB memory sticks, etc.
Completing the Online Exam
After a student has completed their online exam, they must save all answers and click “Finish”. There is no further actions the proctor must take.